The Toy Association Statement on Button Cell Batteries

The U.S. toy industry is committed to ensuring the safety of children.

Batteries – especially small, button- and coin-size batteries – can pose a serious health hazard if swallowed. If they lodge in the esophagus, the results can be life-threatening and immediate medical intervention is needed.

This is why there is a long-standing safety standard requiring that batteries used in toys be made inaccessible to young children through the use of a locking mechanism on the battery compartment. All toys sold in the United States must comply with this battery standard.

However, parents and caregivers are reminded that there are many non-toy products in the home that contain small batteries – such as remote controls, clocks, watches, flashlights, and hearing aids. These products are not subject to the same type of strict safety standards as toys, and children may be able to gain access to batteries from these common items in the home.

Adults should be careful to never leave new or used batteries (from any products) where they are accessible to children. When changing the batteries in a toy, be sure to re-engage the locking system and carefully discard used batteries. These simple steps will help families and caregivers take an active role in ensuring safe and fun play.

This statement was reaffirmed by The Toy Association in October 2017.