FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Adrienne Appell
Toy Industry Association
Comfort Victims of Oklahoma Tornado and Many More Kids in Need during TIF's Summer Toy Drive
Toy Industry Foundation Aims to Collect More than 100,000 Toys and Games through August 31st
New York, NY | May 28, 2013 – The Toy Industry Foundation’s (TIF) 2013 Summer Toy Drive kicks off today (May 28) and will run through August 31st. Generous toy manufacturers, retailers and licensors that donate brand new toys, plush, DVDs, games and more to The Toy Bank this summer will bring the joy of play to children in need – including those recently affected by Oklahoma’s devastating tornado.
“Toys provide comfort to children who are sick, impoverished, at-risk, or have lived through a natural disaster, such as last week’s horrific storm in Oklahoma,” explained Foundation Manager Marisa Medina. “This year, our Summer Toy Drive goal is to collect enough toys so that we can bring smiles to the faces of more than 100,000 children during the upcoming summer months. It’s important to remember the need exists beyond the holiday season, and that we in the toy industry have the power to make a difference all year long.”
Companies that participate in the drive will impact children at the following toy distributions scheduled for summer 2013:
- On an ongoing basis, playthings will be delivered to kids whose homes were lost in the Oklahoma storm. These items will comfort the young victims as their families work to restore their lives.
- On June 20th, the Foundation will bring toys and games to pediatric cancer patients at the Ronald McDonald House in New York City.
- On July 18th, inner-city foster children in New Jersey will receive brand new playthings with the help of TIF national partner, CASA for Children.
- On July 27th, rural-area foster children in Indiana will benefit from a joint TIF-CASA toy distribution.
- On August 1st, for the first time in The Toy Bank’s history, toys will be distributed to children served by TIF partner charities in all 50 states in a single day. Stay tuned for more information about this exciting event.
Questions about donating to one of the specific causes listed above, as well as where to send toys, may be directed to TIF’s Melissa Sorvillo (646.520.4878). Any quantity of toys – from cartons to whole truckloads – is welcome at this time. TIF recognizes all Toy Bank donors on the TIF website and through social media; donors will receive a supporter badge to place on their own website. Additional information can be found at www.TheToyBank.org.
Toy Industry Foundation (www.toyindustryfoundation.org)
The Toy Industry Foundation (TIF) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to bring joy, comfort, and learning to children in need through toys and play. While other organizations provide food, shelter and support services to children and their families, TIF sees to it that these children have toys and opportunities to play in an attempt to restore both fun and a sense of normalcy to their lives.