2013 Toy Safety Compliance Update
TIA's Annual Toy Safety Compliance Update was held on Tuesday, February 12, 2013.
This annual update, presented in conjunction with the American International Toy Fair, provides a focused look at important updates to safety laws and other emerging legislative or regulatory activities, trends and issues that are pertinent to toy industry stakeholders.
Safety professionals, compliance officers, government affairs representatives, manufacturers and retailers, toy designers, as well as testing labs.
- The event began with a public keynote address, titled 2013 Priorities for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission from U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Chairman, Inez Tenenbaum. Introductory remarks were provided by Carter Keithley, TIA president.
- Following the Chairman’s keynote, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Small Business Ombudsman Neal Cohen provided an Update on U.S. Mandatory Testing and Certification Requirements, as required under the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), including the requirements effective February 8, 2013. Introductory remarks were provided by Joan Lawrence, TIA vice president of safety standards and government affairs.
The fee-based portion of the program continued with a panel of speakers that addressed a broad range of issues through the remainder of the meeting. See below for access information to both the presentation files and video recordings.
This portion of the program includes:
- Update on the European Toy Safety Directive
Maureen Logghe, Policy Officer and Seconded National Expert, DG Enterprise and Industry, European Commission
- Update on Canadian Toy Regulations
Leslie Smith, Acting Product Safety Supervisor, Ontario Region
Richard Ross, Product Safety Officer, Manitoba Region
Sylvia Weihrer, Senior Regulatory Policy & Risk Management Advisor
- Update on Canada Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Legislation
Dave Smith, Senior Compliance Manager, LEGO Systems, Inc.
- Update on the U.S. Mandatory Toy Safety Standard (ASTM F963)
Alan Kaufman, Senior Vice President, Technical Affairs, Toy Industry Association
- Legislative Outlook
Andy Hackman, Vice President, Government Affairs, Toy Industry Association
- A video recording and downloadable copies of the presentation is available here to TIA Members.
- For $149, non-members can register to view the presentations (video and .pdf file) here.