A TIA and JPMA Introduction to SaferProducts.gov … the New CPSC Consumer Product Database
The Toy Industry Association, in conjunction with the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association, hosted a free one-hour webinar on March 9th to provide TIA and JPMA members with up-to-the-moment information about the March 11th “official launch” of www.SaferProducts.gov, the new Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) website and database for members of the public to submit reports of harm caused by products.
Safety professionals, compliance officers, government affairs representatives, customer service and public relations staff of toy, youth and entertainment companies.
During this session, TIA member and industry stakeholders received information – and had an opportunity to ask questions – about the CPSC database, including:
- Background / History / Scope of Authority,
- Definition of key terms (e.g., “Report of Harm”),
- Process flow and timeline for the submission and response to complaints,
- Feedback received during the “Soft Launch”, and
- What toy companies can do to prepare for the official launch.
TIA staff also provided an update on comments filed to the Commission and Congress and report on ongoing discussions/actions to assure that issues and concerns with the database are addressed.
For more information about the database, please visit the CPSC website to review CPSIA SECTION 212, Establishment of a Public Consumer Product Safety Database
The full webinar can be accessed online via the following links:
NOTE: Mac users will need to download the VLC Media Player to view the recording.
Toy Industry Association staff:
- Ed Desmond, executive vice president of public affairs
- Mike Dwyer, executive director, Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association
- Frederick B. (Rick) Locker, general counsel