CONGRATULATIONS TO THE INDUCTEES!
The Toy Industry Association (TIA) is proud to announce that the 2013 inductees into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame are:
- Judith (Judy) Ellis
Chair, Toy Design Department,
Fashion Institute of Technology
- Russell (Russ) Berrie
Founder of Russ Berrie Inc.
The two newest inductees were nominated from within the toy industry and selected by a vote of TIA members and previous Hall of Fame honorees.
Established in 1984, the Hall of Fame comprises an impressive roster of 59 individuals who have been recognized for their significant contributions to the growth and success of the toy industry.
The 2013 induction ceremony honoring Ms. Ellis and Mr. Berrie took place during the 13th Annual Toy of the Year (TOTY) Awards.
Additional information about the Hall of Fame and its nomination and selection process follows below.
View a complete list of former inductees.
CRITERIA FOR CANDIDATES
Consideration for the Toy Industry Hall of Fame shall be limited to individuals (living or deceased) who have made outstanding contributions and/or provided outstanding service to the toy industry and to the Toy Industry Association. The candidate(s) should have accomplishments such as:
- Long experience in the industry.
- Innovative product or marketing introductions.
- Manufacturing process changes, which significantly improved the process or product.
- Service on the TIA Board of Directors, or in other important capacities in or related to toys and youth entertainment.
- An unimpeachable record of integrity and respect in the industry.
- A prominent role in:
- Promoting the public’s awareness and appreciation of the importance of toys in the lives of children, or
- Promoting the public's awareness of the toy industry as a significant and responsible member of the business community.
- No current voting member of the TIA Board of Directors, including those in positions of Chairman and Chairman Elect, may be nominated for induction into the Hall of Fame during their board tenure.
In any given year, there may be from two to six inductees (living or deceased) into the Hall of Fame.
The Toy Industry Hall of Fame Committee reviewed all nominations received and proposed a slate of candidates for consideration via the ballot described below.
The opportunity to honor individuals who have made their mark on the North American toy industry is a special tradition for TIA and its members. Designated points of contact at TIA member companies, former Hall of Fame inductees, and recent TIA Board members are invited to rank their choices in the living and posthumous categories. In this defined pool of respondents, no single organization shall have more than one vote.
TIA staff will tally the voting results and provide a summary to members of the Hall of Fame Committee for verification.
An announcement of the 2013 inductees was made on Monday, November 19th, 2012, in conjunction with promotion of the annual Toy of the Year (TOTY) awards program.
The inductees will be honored during a ceremony held in conjunction with the annual Toy of the Year (TOTY) Awards ceremony on Saturday, February 9, 2013 at The Plaza Hotel in New York City.
QUESTIONS AND REQUESTS FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Stacy M. Leistner
TIA Vice President, Strategic Communications (646.520.4858)