Registration Eligibility for Retailers
The Toy Association defines retailers as those whose core business is to sell consumer goods directly to the end customer. Individuals primarily engaged in the sale of goods or services to businesses (whether at wholesale or retail) are not considered retailers.
If any of the following statements apply, The Toy Association defines your company as a non-retailer:
- Your company has not yet launched, there are no stores, you do not have a website, and there is no way to verify your retailer status.
- Your company does not sell merchandise to consumers.
- Your company manufactures consumer goods that can only be purchased through third-party distribution partners (excluding franchisees); there is no way for a consumer to purchase directly from your company.
- Your company primarily sells business-to-business or wholesale. While an individual consumer could purchase a product from you directly, most of your customers are businesses.
- Your company runs a website, provides an e-commerce platform, and/or processes transactions on behalf of a retailer as a third-party. Example: ABC Company runs the website for XYZ Retailer but its staff is employed by ABC Company. ABC is the vendor and XYZ is the Retailer.
- Your company aggregates and sells/auctions merchandise that is owned by other companies and/or you provide a service by which retailers’ products are promoted and sold through your website.
- The messaging on your parent company’s website primarily discusses things such as “solutions,” “services,” “apps,” “partners,” and/or “clients” and gives no indication of, or links to, any subsidiary retail companies.
Subject to change.