- Several food items, such as Chex cereal, raisins, M&Ms, dried apple chips, Goldfish crackers, pretzels, or your favorite mix-ins
- Large bowl, cup measure or scooper for each ingredient
- Small individual bowls (one for each child)
- 10 minutes to assemble the ingredients
Recipe for Fun!
Make a homemade trail mix: Start by having every child wash and dry their hands. Then give each child one ingredient and a scooper or measuring cup. Have the children take turns to measure a set amount (e.g. 1 cup) of their ingredient and pour it into the large bowl. Once all ingredients have been added, children can take turns to stir the mix. When the trail mix is ready, have children take turns to scoop and pour a serving into their individual bowl. Enjoy!
- Following directions is a fundamental skill needed in everyday life and school. During the activity, be clear and specific with instructions and give children time to process and respond. This activity reinforces the directions because children can watch one another and follow suit.
- Cooperative Play is a goal-oriented activity in which children work together to complete a task. Children work together to create the trail mix. They can take turns to scoop and pour ingredients and to stir the mix to make one big bowl of trail mix. Then enjoy their snack together.
- Be cautious of any food allergies a child may have.
- Small objects, such as soft and hard candies and nuts may inadvertently become lodged in the throat.
- Only give foods to children who can easily chew and swallow food
- Supervise children during this activity and while eating.