Nomination & Selection Process
Nominations for 2023 Hall of Fame closed on March 1, 2023.
Toy Association members and the public are eligible to submit candidates for consideration living only; membership in The Toy Association is not required for submitting a nomination.
NOTE: All proposed nominees must be informed and approve of their nomination before formally submitted.
NOTE: The nominator will be responsible for making the tribute video and providing any additional assets, should their nominee be selected for the induction.
Consideration for the Toy Industry Hall of Fame shall be limited to individuals who have made outstanding contributions and/or provided outstanding service to the toy industry and to The Toy Association. The candidate(s) should have accomplishments such as:
- Long experience and record of accomplishment in the industry.
- Innovative product, marketing introductions or significant process improvements.
- Active involvement in the Committees or work of The Toy Association.
- Demonstrated commitment to ethical manufacturing practices.
- Charitable efforts benefiting children and/or children’s causes.
- An unimpeachable record of integrity and respect in the industry.
- Promoting the public's awareness of the toy industry as a significant and responsible member of the business community.
No current voting member of The Toy Association Board of Directors, including those in positions of Chairman and Chairman Elect, may be nominated for induction into the Hall of Fame during their board tenure. Consideration will also be given to the number of nominations received from The Toy Association membership.
The Toy Industry Hall of Fame Committee will meet in April to review the nominations received and may propose a slate of candidates for consideration via a ballot of:
- designated points of contact for current members of The Toy Association.
- current members of The Toy Association Board + Toy Association Board members who have served in the previous five (5) years; and
- former Hall of Fame inductees.
The Toy Association staff will tally the voting results and provide a summary to members of the Hall of Fame Committee for verification. Results of the ballot shall then be provided to the Toy Association Board of Directors. The Board will confirm the number of individuals that it would like to induct into the Hall of Fame the following May.
The Hall of Fame Committee may also carry forward leading vote-recipients from the prior year’s ballot to be inducted in the following year by providing prior notice to the Board of Directors.
If a candidate was nominated for induction for the 2022 ceremony BUT was not selected – the nomination will carry forward for one additional year for 2023. Carried over candidates do not require re-nomination.
Any nominations submitted prior to 2022 will have to be re-submitted for consideration in 2023.
*NEW* Process for Posthumous Candidates
The Hall of Fame Subcommittee on Posthumous Selection will nominate for induction into the Hall of Fame up to five inductees per year for consideration and approval by the Toy Industry Hall of Fame Committee. The Subcommittee will research suitable candidates keeping an eye for diversity in company, area of contribution, ethnicity, gender, and lasting impact on the industry as well as nominations made by the public. Recommended candidates will be nominated by their historical era:
- Early Pioneer: 19th Century
- Industrial Era: 1900 – 1940s
- Golden Era: 1950s – 1980s
- Modern Era: 1990s – 2021
The 2023 inductee(s) will be honored at an induction ceremony held in conjunction with the 24th Toy of the Year (TOTY) Awards ceremony that will take place on Friday, September 29, 2023, in New York City.
An announcement of the 2023 inductees will be made in June.